To achieve solid ROI on your advertising campaigns, you need to be both targeted and ubiquitous. Common wisdom says that it takes 6-8 touches (interactions) for a prospect to hand over money for your product. Basically, by putting your product or service in front of an interested prospect’s face multiple times, you’ll begin to build recognition, rapport, and trust. Once you’ve done that, conversion is just a step away.
The best way to be targeted and ubiquitous? Retargeting.
What is Retargeting?
If you’ve checked out a pair of Yeezys and then been stalked by them all over the internet, that’s no coincidence. You’ve been retargeted.
Benefits of Retargeting
Retargeting should be a core part of any digital marketer’s arsenal. If you haven’t taken the plunge, now’s the time to fix that. Here’s why retargeting is so valuable:
- Brand awareness – you’ll see more branded searches rather than relying on SEO
- Brand engagement – users will spend more time on your site
- Conversions – people will be more likely to buy than bounce
- Cost-effective – you’ll target people who have already shown interest in your brand.
Tips for Running a Retargeting Campaign
Done well, a retargeting campaign can deliver serious bang for your buck. (A good ROI baseline is 200%!) To get the most out of your retargeting efforts, keep in mind the following:
- Bid based on intent. Spend more on the people who have abandoned their carts than those who have just browsed your website for a minute or so.
- Exclude current customers. If someone has already purchased, there’s no need to chase them (unless you’re planning to upsell or cross-sell!)
- Know how long to follow someone. This should be informed by the average length of your sales cycle.
- Segment like crazy. Serve up ads based on individual groups’ search activity and intent. Keep both images and copy relevant.
- Don’t be a stalker. Showing too many ads can put people off your brand.
- Change up your ads. If your ads aren’t converting, create new ones.
- Capitalize on seasons or trends. If you’re launching a new product, a seasonal service, or are running a sale, launch a new retargeting campaign.
- Exclude your own IP addresses. Don’t waste your ad spend on advertising to your own staff!
- Pause underperforming ads. If an ad isn’t working, assess why. Use A/B testing to monitor improvements.
- Know where your ad will run. Blacklist websites that are off-brand for your company so your ads don’t show up there.
- Track everything! Keep a close eye on your analytics and ROI to see exactly which ads are performing.
It’s Time to Launch that Campaign!
Ready to boost your brand awareness, conversions, and ROI? It’s time to invest in a digital remarketing campaign. For help on building a cost-effective, data-based campaign that delivers on its promises, get in touch with the team at StellaPop. We’re here to help you sell!